News

Circus Regeneration Scheme, Liverpool

18 October 2017

Stace are very pleased to announce their involvement in Circus, a major mixed-use regeneration scheme in the centre of Liverpool.

Works revolve around the refurbishment and remodelling of the celebrated Grade II listed Lewis’s department store, which first opened its doors in 1856 as the chain’s flagship store. Now closed, Lewis’s was one of the North of England’s largest department stores for over a century, with links to Selfridges and the Miss Selfridge chain.

Following extensive damage in World War II the building was rebuilt and reclassified, and continued to trade for another 50 years before finally closing in 2010. It has since housed a hotel, a gym and NHS offices.

Classified as a distressed asset prior to our client’s acquisition, the building spans over 400,000ft² and sits directly adjacent to Liverpool Central Station, making it a crucial part of the City’s wider regeneration plan.

Stace are supporting property developer and investment company, Augur, with overall master-planning and the delivery of Project Management and CDM services. The development will comprise of retail, leisure, office and hotel (Classes A1 – A3, C1 and D2).

Keen to stay true to the history of the building, the regeneration scheme – which also spans an additional three acres of industrial land, owned by Network Rail – will retain existing façade works, including Sir Jacob Epstein’s bronze panels and statue, which adorn the building.

One of Liverpool’s most talked about schemes for over a decade, Stace are excited to be now moving forward with this major retail and leisure project.